Sunday, March 11, 2012

George and Anna are back!!!


Well, they have been back awhile now, but we have not had time until now to see each other. They are kind of like my version of Brangelina...except for I love and respect them. In other words, they are perfect for one another. They are an amazing tag team of creativity, one being a composer and another being a graphic designer. I met them years ago when I was living in the Lower Haight. In fact, they were one of the reasons I decided to finally pursue my culinary dreams! And they continue to inspire me. They recently did a short 3 month stint in The Big Apple and have returned home! So, after a stop at Blue Bottle, we headed over to The Trappist, a little belgian pub with more than the average bar food.




This place is amazing. I mean the beer selection is out of this world, the list of drafts and bottles goes on and on. We decided to go with a nice light beer, the Allagash white ale. It was delicious! it was very light and crisp. It was so light in fact, it didnt really feel like drinking a beer (maybe I just drink too much?). No, seriously, a beer I would have again.

Then we ordered from the kitchen. We all agreed the Hot Pastrami Sandwich was the way to go, and when it came out I was pleasantly surprised. I mean the atmosphere of the bar was nice, dark wood with a real european feel. Lots of cute vintage european beer ads, but in no way did it prepare me for this little gem. I dont know what they do in the back of that tiny kitchen I saw around the bar, but it is some refined stuff back there. I have my background in fine dining and this plate has a little bit of fine dining touch to it. The pickled vegetables were made in house and were very obviously from the local farmer's market that happens near here. The carrots were tiny and tender, well spiced and just the right touch of vinegar. Im thinking, "if the pickled veggies are this good, I better get to the pastrami". It comes layered with thin slices of pastrami and the best red cabbage sauerkraut, juicy and tart, with just a touch of dijon mustard with whole mustard seeds. It was perfect! Just the right amount of tangy from the cabbage and spicy from the mustard. It hit the spot for all of us and I couldn't be happier. For a total spent of 15 bucks, well worth another trip to The Trappist. Check them out!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-trappist-oakland

Location:Oakland, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment