Thursday, December 13, 2012

Matsutake Garlic Steamed Clams

Matsutake garlic steamed clams

So being my own boss isn't all that it's cracked up to be all of the time. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love being in charge of my schedule and creating menus by myself, but that also means I have to do all the things non food related as well, such as accounting and marketing. I recently acquired a new client, and when I was menu planning for the trial run dinner (basically my interview) I wanted to make something that would blow him away. I wanted him to have no reason to hire anyone else.

I knew it had to be something I couldn't mess up. Steamed garlic clams immediately popped into my head, but I wanted something more exciting, something unusual too. I had been playing with the idea of using Matsutakes since they had recently come into season. I had made a Matsutake broth once in a restaurant I was working in forever ago, and I decided to merge the two.

Now for those of you have no idea what I am talking about, Matsutake's are a variety of wild mushrooms. They can not be cultivated, only foraged, so they only are around for a few months out of the year. They are not cheap either, we are talking upwards of thirty bucks a pound, but god they are amazing! They have this woody pine aroma that permeates everything it comes into contact with, slightly sweet, and if picked fresh, can have a great meaty texture.

So after some tinkering around, I came up with this. Basically it's a simple steamed clam recipe, pretty quick, and is great as a main dish for two, or as a side for four. Just make sure you have a deep sauté pan and something to cover it with.


Matsutake and Garlic Steamed Clams

Ingredients:

2lbs fresh clams (I prefer little-neck but you can use any kind, or even mussels)
3 Tbsp butter
3-4 medium to large Matsutake mushroom
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup dry white wine
10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Tbsp heavy cream
3 oz pancetta or bacon
2 Tbsp chopped parsley

Method;

In a large and deep sauté pan, heat 2 tbsp of the butter until melted. Turn heat to low and throw in garlic. Sauté for two minutes.
Add pancetta or bacon and sauté until fat is released and it has cooked through slightly. Add in the mushrooms and sauté another few minutes, until they release some of their liquid.
Season with salt and pepper. Add in white wine and reduce for 3-5 minutes to burn off some of the alcohol. Add chicken broth, raise heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, if you haven't done so already, wash and scrub your clams or oysters to remove excess dirt or algae that might still be hanging around.
Once liquid is boiling, reduce heat to low and add in the clams or mussels, cover and cook for ten to twelve minutes more.
Once all of your clams or mussels have opened up (if any haven't discard them) then  swirl in the last tablespoon of butter and cream. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment